Arvid sees life as a beautiful and bizarre mystery that needs many different perspectives to fully comprehend. He is determined to find and embody that different perspective. When he is not reading a book or listening to music, Arvid enjoys taking pictures, pruning bonsai trees, knolling his gear, and collecting mechanical keyboards. Arvid is a student of Objectivism. He was homeschooled in Virginia before attending Drexel University for his BS in Product Design. He now works at MINIMAL Inc. in Chicago, Illinois, where he lives with his lovely wife Zouza.
Arvid's seeks to create and visualize new ideas in the service of larger ideals, to communicate with clarity and respect, and to maintain the highest standards of personal conduct and craftsmanship.
The world is noisy — a reflection of our collective thought process. For designers, this chaos is difficult to live in. Designers seek to bring structure and purpose to their surroundings. In an attempt to understand the overwhelming complexity of the material world, they recreate it, piece by piece, according to their spiritual ideal. This creative soul, guided by the conscious and subconscious forces of reason and intuition, is compelled to answer two fundamental questions: "Why?" and "How?" For Arvid, the "Why" is: Life is beautiful, and to connect with life, one must find and create beauty. The "How" is: with clarity, consistency, and quality.
Vision: A fulfilling life, lived clearly and conscientiously.
Mission: To expand the mind through learning and exploration,
and to achieve creative and technical excellence.
Culture: A home to reason, a place of respect and dedication
that promotes creativity and initiative.
Values: Honesty, education, compassion, and independence.
Promise: The clear truth, a generous spirit, and high standards.
Tone: Calm, loving, and confident with intent to inform and inspire.
Drexel University Philadelphia, PA.
2016 graduation, magna cum laude.
-Bachelor of Science in Product Design with a minor in Fine Arts from Westphal College of Media Arts and Design.
-Winner of the 2016 Drexel University Cooperative Education Award for outstanding work done at Michael Graves.
Minimal Inc. (MNML)
Senior Designer 2019 - Present
Designer 2017 - 2019.
- Responsible for leading projects, managing development timelines, and handling client relations.
- Created pitch decks, led client workshops and team brainstorms.
- Created 3D models in SolidWorks and Rhino. Produced photorealistic renders using V-Ray, Octane, and Keyshot.
- Selected concepts for development and built final client presentations.
- Worked on IDEA Gold award project (Turf).
Well-Beings. (MNML subsidiary)
Chicago, IL. 2019. Staff Photographer, Graphic Designer, 6 months.
- Created a suite of product photographs for the brand website and assisted with web design.
- Designed the 2019 Product Catalog and additional marketing material.
- Produced photorealistic renders using Octane and Keyshot.
- Assisted with packaging design and layout for the product family.
Michael Graves Architecture and Design
Princeton, NJ. 2015. Intern, 6 months.
- Produced SolidWorks assemblies, spec. packets, and production drawings.
- Sketched new concepts, developed existing products, and built models.
- Maintained 3D printers, assisted video production, made packaging mockups.
- Nominated by Donald Strum, Principal, for the 2016 Cooperative Education Award.
Westphal College Hybrid Making Lab
Philadelphia, PA. 2014. Lab assistant, 3 months.
- Maintained Objet Alaris 3D printer
- Managed appointment scheduling and shop payments.
- In charge of laser cutters, machine tools, lab computers, and shop inventory.
Freelance: LeBow Freedom of Business Award
Philadelphia, PA. 2014, Freelance Design Work
- Selected by Drexel Administration to design the 2015 Freedom of Business Awards.
- 10 weeks of sketch development, 12 weeks of CAD modeling and prototyping.
- Presented 3D printed prototypes, final renderings, and blueprints to clients.
Westphal College Product Design Lab
Philadelphia, PA. 2014, Shop assistant, 6 months.
- Managed the tool room and produced safety information for safe machine use.
- Oversaw students during shop hours, maintained shop, managed payments.
Motorcycle History and Design
Philadelphia, PA. 2014. Teacher's Assistant - 3 months.
- In charge of integrating the class' ideas into one design for development.
- Modeled multiple fully detailed motorcycles in SolidWorks.
- 3D printed scale models which were displayed in the College art gallery for over a year.
- Produced finished renders in Keyshot 5 and created final 6’x4’ presentation board for a school engineering competition.
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Arvid is an experienced visual communicator and strategist. He enjoys bringing products to life and has participated in virtually every phase of the design process, from initial research and concept iteration to product refinement, branding, engineering, manufacturing, packaging, and distribution.
Arvid has designed furniture, lighting, medical devices, home appliances, consumer electronics, soft goods and apparel, storage systems, audio equipment, children's products, luxury goods, military gear, architectural installations, and much, much more. He has also worked extensively as a researcher and strategist, consulting with large companies to create brand language guidelines that help inform the design of future products.
3D CAD modeling
Visual brand language
Frequently asked questions
What software do you use?
I primarily use SolidWorks and Keyshot for design work, Illustrator for Data Viz, and Adobe XD for UI/UX work. Please click the software tab for a complete list of software and my proficiency in each.
What photography gear do you use?
I use a Leica Q2 (28mm) and a Fuji XT-3 (w/16-55mm & 80mm). I edit the photos in Lightroom and Photoshop + VSCO filters.
How did you make your website?
I used Webflow to create this site from scratch. This is version 4.1.0.
What advice do you have for new designers?
Please see my essay on the subject, "Design: Advice for Those Entering the Field." If you have any specific questions please feel free to contact me.
How do I get in touch with you?
Please click the contact icon in the upper left of the navbar, or click here.